Big-game hunting recommendations, changes get the OK in Nebraska
LINCOLN, Neb. – The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission adopted staff recommendations for 2017 big-game hunting seasons at its meeting April 21 in Norfolk.
Among the big-game changes to Commission orders:
- Twenty-six either-sex and 54 doe/fawn antelope permits were added in units in the southern Panhandle.
- Three cow elk permits were added in the Ash Creek Unit.
- Antlerless-only whitetail permits were reduced in several eastern units.
- Permits in southwest units were changed to increase mule deer doe harvest.
- Changes to permits in the Platte Mule Deer Conservation Area now allocate no more than 15 percent of permits to nonresidents.
- The River Antlerless Unit was expanded on the Elkhorn River and the South Fork of the Elkhorn River.
The 2017 big-game season dates are:
- Deer: archery, Sept. 1-Dec. 31; firearm, Nov. 11-19; muzzleloader, Dec. 1-31; antlerless late season, Jan. 1-15, 2018.
- Antelope: archery, Aug. 20-Dec. 31; muzzleloader, Sept. 16-Oct. 1; firearm, Oct. 14-29; doe/fawn late season, Nov. 1, 2017-Jan. 31, 2018.
- Elk: archery bull, Sept. 15-Oct. 29; firearm bull, Sept. 30-Oct. 29; private land cow, Aug. 15-Oct. 29 and Dec. 1-31; public land cow, Sept. 30-Oct. 29 and Dec. 1-31.
In addition to big-game orders, the commissioners approved recommendations to:
- Increase the cash change funds at some state park areas to support expanded activities, coinage requirements associated with showers, new gatehouses, and price change in park entry permits.
- Grant a permanent easement from the City of Louisville to place a sewer line at Platte River State Park (SP);
- Set fees for a new family aquatic center at Ponca SP as follows: annual family pass, $180; annual adult, $95; annual child, $75; daily adult, $7; daily child, $5; age 2 and under, free.
- Set fees for a new rental meeting room at Wildcat Hills SRA as follows: Monday – Thursday, $150 for full day, $75 for four hours; Friday – Sunday and holidays, $200 for full day, $100 for four hours; weddings, $300; propane grill, $25. Rental hours are 8 a.m. – 10 p.m., with three four-hour rental blocks per day.
- Acquire 80 acres of land in Sheridan County to be designated an addition to Metcalf Wildlife Management Area.