Chipolte BBQ Squirrel Dip
A recipe by Kory Slye
4 squirrels, cleaned and pieced
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
2 Onions, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
24 ozs. broth (vegetable or chicken)
2-3 cups braised squirrel, bones removed
2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese
1 can chipotle peppers
1-2 cups Barbeque sauce (your brand of choice and tailor the amount to your taste)
½ cup ranch dressing
1 cup shredded cheddar Cheese
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. coriander
Zest from 2-3 limes
Juice from 2-3 limes
Optional: In place of kosher salt, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, coriander, and lime juice and zest, you can substitute these ingredients with 1 to 2 tablespoons of Firing Lime Chipotle seasoning from www.tacticalories.com.
- Coat meat with olive oil
- Season liberally with salt and pepper
- In Dutch oven cover meat with broth, ensure meat is submerged completely, if not add water.
- Add onions and garlic
- Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat. Let simmer for 4 hours, or until meat falls off the bone.
- Separate the meat from the bones, discard broth and bones.
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients for the dip together with the prepared meat, and stir until well mixed.
- Set crock pot to high and stir occasionally.
- When ingredients are warmed through and cheese is melted, set slow cooker to warm.
- Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or anything you choose.
About the Chef: Kory is the Managing Editor of Harvesting Nature, an online outdoor publication focusing on
wild game recipes, hunting and fishing narratives, and adventure articles. He has been an avid hunter and fisherman for most of his life and enjoys spending time in the outdoors with his family. Kory currently lives in northwestern Pennsylvania with his wife and three young children.