Saturday, February 4th, 2023
Saturday, February 4th, 2023

Breaking News for

Sportsmen Since 1967

Wildlife agency says bald eagle had lead poisoning

Knoxville, Tenn. (AP) – Federal wildlife officials say a bald
eagle, found dead at Norris Lake in February, died of lead
poisoning.

A release from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office in
Knoxville on Thursday said the agency’s forensics laboratory
consulted with the U.S. Geological Survey National Wildlife Health
Center in determining the bird’s liver had elevated levels of
lead.

The wildlife service said it’s likely the eagle ate something
containing lead shot. While lead had been banned for hunting
waterfowl, it still is used to hunt a variety of game.

Special Agent Ryan Noel said it appears someone came across the
bird’s carcass and cut of the feet and talons as souvenirs, which
is an illegal act. Body parts and feathers of bald eagles are
protected.

Share on Social

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email

Hand-Picked For You

Related Articles