After few initial offerings, DNR adds to metro deer plan meetings schedule
When the Minnesota DNR initially released a list of open houses per its deer management plan a week ago, there was a glaring omission.
No metro listings.
The DNR quickly recategorized that open house list to include a limited metro schedule of three meetings, with more to be added, the agency said.
And so it has, with meetings added in St. Paul and Richfield to go with those at the Forest Lake/Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, Shakopee and Vermillion.
— Sally Jo Sorensen (@sallyjos) April 11, 2018
That brings the total to 37 April open-house meetings to help people understand the deer plan. Meetings start today at three locations.
There will be no formal presentation at the meetings. Instead, local wildlife staff will provide handouts explaining the deer plan and process and talk with attendees individually and in small groups.
All meetings are scheduled from 6-8 p.m. and those planning to attend can arrive anytime during the two-hour time frame, according to a release last week by the DNR.
Part of the plan outlines strategic ways the agency will prioritize its resources and activities to meet the plan’s eight key goals, which range from keeping Minnesota deer healthy to ensuring biological and societal factors are considered in management decisions, the release said.
The plan establishes an annual statewide harvest target of 200,000 deer, the release said. Although only one of several performance measures outlined in the plan, the harvest target will help communicate how the DNR is meeting overall population goals through time.
The new, updated meetings schedule:
- St. Paul, Monday, April 23, DNR Headquarters, 500 Lafayette Road.
- Carlos Avery/Forest Lake, Tuesday, April 24, Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, 5463 W Broadway, conference room.
- Shakopee, Tuesday, April 24, Shakopee Area Wildlife Office, 7050 E Highway 101.
- Vermillion, Wednesday, April 25, Rosemount Research & Outreach Center, 16085 Alverno Ave.
- Richfield, Monday, April 30, Wood Lake Nature Center, 6710 Lake Shore Drive
- Crookston, Monday, April 16, Crookston Public Library, 110 N Ash St.
- Red Lake, Monday, April 16, Hayes Lake State Park, 48990 County Road 4, Roseau.
- Karlstad, Tuesday, April 17, Lake Bronson State Park, Kittson County Road 28, Lake Bronson.
- Park Rapids, Tuesday, April 17, Park Rapids Area Library, 210 1st St. W.
- Roseau, Tuesday, April 17, Roseau County Courthouse, 606 5th Ave. SW.
- Thief Lake, Wednesday, April 18, Thief Lake Area Wildlife Office, 42280 240th Ave. NE, Middle River.
- Baudette, Wednesday, April 18, Lake of the Woods School, 210 3rd Ave. NE, IT room.
- Fergus Falls, Wednesday, April 18, Fergus Falls Area Wildlife Office, 1509 First Ave. N.
- Glenwood, Thursday, April 19, Glenwood Area Wildlife Office, 23070 North Lakeshore Drive.
- Bemidji, Tuesday, April 24, Bemidji City Hall, 317 4th St. NW.
- Thief River Falls, Tuesday, April 24, Thief River Falls Area Wildlife Office, 246 125th Ave. NE.
- Detroit Lakes, Thursday, April 26, Minnesota State Community College, 900 Minnesota Highway 34, campus auditorium.
- Aitkin, Tuesday, April 17, Aitkin Area DNR Office, 1200 Minnesota Ave S.
- Brainerd, Wednesday, April 18, Brainerd Area DNR Office, 1601 Minnesota Drive, lower conference room.
- Tower, Wednesday, April 18, Mountain Iron Community Center, 8586 Enterprise Drive.
- International Falls, Tuesday, April 24, Rainy River Community College, 1501 Highway 71, room H124.
- Cloquet, Wednesday, April 25, Carlton County Transportation and Tax Forfeit Land Department Building, 1630 County Road 61.
- Grand Rapids, Thursday, April 26, Grand Rapids Regional DNR Office, 1201 E Highway 2, upstairs conference room.
- Two Harbors, Thursday, April 26, Two Harbors Area Wildlife Office, 1568 Highway 2.
- Sauk Rapids, Thursday, April 19, Sauk Rapids Area DNR Office, 1035 South Benton Drive.
- Mille Lacs, Monday, April 23, Mille Lacs Wildlife Management Area Office, 29172 100th Ave.
- Little Falls, Tuesday, April 24, Crane Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, 19502 Iris Road.
- Rochester, Tuesday, April 24, Willow Creek Middle School, 2425 11th Ave. SE.
- Whitewater, Thursday, April 26, Whitewater Wildlife Management Area Office, 15035 Highway 74.
- Cambridge, Thursday, April 26, Cambridge Area Wildlife Office, 800 Oak Savanna Lane SW.
- Nicollet, Monday, April 16, Nicollet Conservation Club, 46045 471st Lane.
- Marshall, Tuesday, April 17, Marshall Area DNR Office, 1400 E Lyon.
- New London, Tuesday, April 17, MnDOT District 8, 2505 Transportation Road, Willmar.
- Slayton/Talcot, Wednesday, April 18, Slayton Pizza Ranch, 2306 Broadway Avenue, Slayton.
- Owatonna, Thursday, April 19, Cabela’s, 3900 Cabela Drive.
- La Qui Parle and Appleton, Tuesday, April 24, Lac Qui Parle Area DNR Headquarters, 14047 20th St. NW, Watson.
- Windom, Thursday, April 26, Windom Community Center, 1750 Cottonwood Lake Drive.
For those who can’t make the meetings, the DNR is encouraging the public to contact their local wildlife manager for additional information or to address any questions they may have about the deer plan. A list of area wildlife offices is available online at mndnr.gov/areas/wildlife.
Information about the deer plan, scheduled open houses, background information and a link to submit online comments are on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/deerplan.