One thing careful eyes will notice about last week’s announcement from the DNR concerning upcoming CWD public information meetings is that another county has been added to the “CWD positive” list.
The Fiscal Year 2017 CWD Report featured 16 Illinois counties that had at least one confirmed CWD case. The FY 2018 report has not yet been released – it includes information up until June 30, 2017 – but the DNR’s meeting announcement noted “CWD has been detected in 17 counties across the northern edge and northeastern portions of Illinois as far south as the Illinois River Valley.”
Carroll County has been added to the list.
The FY 2017 report had the total number of confirmed cases since 2002 at 610. It will be interesting to see what that number looks like when the new report is released. That should happen any day now.
As far as the CWD meetings go, landowners and hunters are being encouraged to attend.
The public meetings each begin at 7 p.m. with a 30-minute presentation and discussion to follow.
Meetings will be held as follows:
- Sept. 12 – Galena City Hall, 101 Green St., Galena.
- Sept. 14 – Lena Community Center, 497 Lions Dr., Lena.
- Sept. 26 – Illinois State Rifle Association Shooting Range, 1589 N. 7000 W. Rd., Bonfield.
- Sept. 27 – Pontiac Sportsman’s Club, 18663 4H Park Rd., Pontiac.
- Sept. 28 – MCCD’s Lost Valley Visitors Center, 6316 Harts Rd., Ringwood.
- Oct. 12 – Belvidere Community Building, 111 W. 1st St., Belvidere.
For more information about the meetings or CWD, contact Doug Dufford, DNR Wildlife Disease Program Manager at 815-369-2414 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.