Ice fisherman dies on Leech Lake

Walker, Minn. — The Cass County Sheriff’s Department reported earlier this week that an ice angler who was fishing from a camper trailer converted to a fish house apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning on Sunday, Jan. 17.

The man, who was fishing with three other people – all of whom appeared to be suffering the effects of carbon monoxide inhalation when discovered by emergency workers – was identified later as 34-year-old Jared Nels Johnson, of Akeley.

According to Cass County Sheriff Tom Burch, department officials received a report of a medical emergency in a fish house on Leech’s Walker Bay at 4:37 p.m. last Sunday. EMS and sheriff’s deputies arrived to find the four occupants of the fish house “experiencing symptoms of what is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning.” The sheriff’s press release says one male was deceased. Another was transported to St. Joseph’s hospital in Park Rapids, and later was transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center. Two other adult males were treated at the scene and released.

According to the sheriff’s department, “The initial investigation indicates propane devices being used to heat the structure were not ventilated and led to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide inside the structure.”

The release says an autopsy of the victim is scheduled with the Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office.

The Cass County Sheriff’s Office was assisted on the scene by the Walker Police Department, the Walker Fire Department, and North Ambulance.

Categories: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *