Sunday, January 29th, 2023
Sunday, January 29th, 2023

Breaking News for

Sportsmen Since 1967

Michigan Cuffs & Collars – May 22nd, 2015

CO Mark Leadman observed a subject attempting to net fish on a closed trout stream. The subject was in a remote location near a camp, and had no identification on his person. The CO followed the subject to a nearby camp, and contact was made with two other subjects who also were returning to the camp with similar nets in their possession. Unaware of CO Leadman’s presence, one subject asked another man if he had any luck netting fish. Enforcement action was taken.
CO Dave Painter was working the turkey opener when he came upon two hunters who were braving the winter-like conditions. It was quickly apparent that something was amiss when one subject stated they did not have any luck and the other stated they did. A short conversation revealed the hunters had shot two turkeys, but had left their tags in the vehicle. Both subjects possessed valid tags for the hunt area, and after gathering all the facts, it was apparent it was an honest mistake related to the clothing choice for the cold weather.
CO Dave Painter worked a local trout lake for the opening morning of trout season. Fishing activity was slow, but two anglers did not have life jackets in their boat. Enforcement action was taken.

CO Jerrold Fitzgibbon, while working the trout opener, observed an angler on a Type D trout lake. The CO watched the angler almost two hours and observed the subject using worms, keeping undersized fish, and smoking a marijuana pipe. The man also was discarding his cigarette butts into the lake. Contact was made when the subject came to shore. He also had left his life jacket at home. Enforcement action was taken.
CO Mike Evink observed a vehicle parked near a trout stream prior to the trout opener, and waited for the subject to return to his vehicle.  When the subject arrived, he was carrying a spear and a spotlight. CO Evink contacted the subject, who stated he was unaware that he could not possess a spear on a trout stream.  A ticket was issued for the violation.
After numerous complaints had been made to CO Jeff Panich and several days of surveillance on Drummond Island, CO Brett Gustafson, along with a detective from the Special Investigative Unit, observed two subjects illegally spearing walleyes and pike on the Potagannissing River. The suspects were surprised to see the officers, especially since they had even attempted to determine if they were on the island by making phone calls prior to beginning their illegal activity. Enforcement action taken.
CO Kevin Postma responded to a recreational trespass complaint and was able to interview both the complainant as well as the suspect. It was determined that the suspect had entered onto the complainant’s property from the back side of a field through the woods. According to the suspect, he did not see any “no trespassing” signs, which would indicate that the property was private. The suspect could not explain why he didn’t notice that the turkey he shot was standing in a mowed hay field on the other side of an old fence row. The complainant confirmed the kill site, as he had watched the incident transpire while he was having coffee and watching the turkeys in his backyard. Charges are being sought .

CO Duane Budreau investigated a wildfire that escaped onto a neighbor’s property and burned part of a house and 13 acres. A ticket was issued for allowing a fire to escape.
CO Steve Speigl was being shown areas of previous trespassing on a local farm when he and the farmer stumbled upon a trespassing hunter. CO Speigl and the farmer escorted the hunter off the property, and enforcement action was taken.
CO Andrea Albert caught several juveniles on a closed trout stream with a net and a spear. The net and spear were seized, and parents contacted. For the youths’ indiscretions, a litter cleanup of the entire area was arranged.
CO Steve Speigl responded to a call in which a turkey hunter watched two other hunters trespass on a neighboring property. After the two trespassing hunters shot at a turkey, the hunter who watched the incident called the RAP hotline. A third party of the trespassers who was in a vehicle along the road yelled at the two hunters actively trespassing to leave their gear and get out of the woods. CO Speigl, once on the scene, collected evidence and is continuing the investigation.  
CO Mark DePew received information that a subject had shot a large 9-point buck Nov. 30 and then bought his license after the fact. Upon interviewing the suspect, the man admitted to shooting the buck without a license. Charges are being sought.
CO Bill Webster received a complaint about an individual snagging a large number of suckers in the Devils River. The suspect left before the officer arrived, but the complainant was able to get his license plate. CO Webster contacted the suspect, who admitted to snagging 60 suckers. He stated he had passed the officer when he was leaving the river and thought he got away with it, and that he knew it was wrong. He was ticketed for retaining the foul-hooked fish.

CO Brian Lebel, of Mecosta County, was conducting surveillance on the Muskegon River and observed two anglers fishing from shore. CO Lebel was able to observe the anglers catch and keep walleyes during the closed season. CO Lebel contacted the anglers and confirmed that one subject was on probation and in possession of marijuana.  Enforcement action was taken, including lodging one angler on the probation violation.
CO Sam Koscinski was flagged down by a member of the Winter Warriors Cadillac-area snowmobile club. The member stated the club was conducting its spring cleanup along the snowmobile trail and came upon a bucket with unknown contents along the side of the road. CO Koscinski responded to the location and determined that the contents were possibly a meth dump site. CO Koscinski contacted the local Traverse Narcotics Team (TNT), which responded and confirmed that it was a meth dump site and removed the hazard.
COs Sean Kehoe and Richard Stowe responded to a complaint in which a nuisance bear had disrupted a chicken coop. After the COs talked with several of the neighbors, it appeared the bear had been coming into the area frequently. Wildlife Division employees set a trap to capture the bear and relocate it in a less populated area.

CO Mark Papineau was contacted by the Clare County Sheriff’s Department in regard to a subject who had posted a possible overlimit of walleyes on social media. Further investigation revealed photographs of at least two different bucks harvested during the 2014 deer season, along with numerous fish photographs. After checking license purchases, CO Papineau discovered that the subject purchased his deer license after the deer were killed and that the subject never purchased a fishing license. In all, the subject had illegally harvested a 6-point, an 8-point, and a 10-point buck during the season. Numerous warrants were issued by the Clare County Prosecutor’s Office.
CO Warren MacNeill was checking a closed trout stream in Alcona County when he observed an angler attempting to snag steelhead. CO MacNeill watched the man for quite some time as he continued to fish and call his friends on his cell phone to tell them to come join him. When CO MacNeill contacted the subject, the angler attempted to tell him that another local CO had informed him that the creek was open to fishing. When CO MacNeill informed him that he was the only “local CO,” the angler began to get angry. He threw his fishing pole in CO MacNeill’s direction and it broke. The subject said, “You are just going to take my fishing pole anyway so who cares!” CO MacNeill informed the angler that he didn’t want his broken fishing pole and it needed to be picked up or he also would be ticketed for littering. Enforcement action was taken.
Sgt. Brandon Kieft was patrolling small creek areas in Iosco County one week prior to the opening season for trout fishing when he encountered a vehicle along Smith Creek. After checking the vehicle and noticing fishing gear, Sgt. Kieft located the angler with a large steelhead in his possession. Enforcement action was taken. The steelhead had just been caught, so it was released.

CO Joel Lundberg was patrolling the Tittabawassee River on the second day of the walleye opener when he made contact with an angler who appeared to be very nervous. After asking more questions, the CO suspected that the angler had taken a limit of walleyes earlier in the day and was now working on a second or third limit. Sgt. Ron Kimmerly assisted the CO by checking the suspect’s residence. Right next to the driveway the officer found 17 walleyes that had been filleted. There also was a cooler that was filled with water but no fish. It turned out that a son had removed the walleyes from the cooler after he received a call from his dad, the suspect with whom CO Lundberg was dealing. The suspect was issued a ticket for the overlimit of walleyes.
CO Will Brickel received a complaint about a turkey being shot from a motor vehicle several days earlier. A plate number was obtained from a possible suspect vehicle, and it was called in two days after the incident had occurred. The CO obtained an address of the suspect, and after an interview, obtained a confession. Enforcement action was taken.
COs Scott Brown and Kyle Bucholtz were working the walleye opener on the Saginaw River when they contacted two anglers in a boat that just pulled out at the launch. Upon checking the limit of fish they said they caught, CO Bucholtz found the two anglers in possession of 12 walleyes, two over their limit. Enforcement action was taken.
COs Seth Rhodea and Jason A. Smith worked together to monitor a stream in Sanilac County where spawning steelhead are often illegally taken. CO Smith watched one group of anglers for several hours before he and CO Rhodea made contact with them as they were leaving. The anglers had a speared steelhead trout in their possession and were ticketed for taking it illegally.

CO Michael Mshar received a RAP complaint about a subject keeping walleyes out of season. CO Mshar responded to the area and observed several bank anglers fishing on the Kalamazoo River. Contact was made with the anglers, who stated they did not have any fish. CO Mshar searched the area and located a large walleye in a bag hidden under a bridge. The subject then admitted to catching and keeping the fish. The subject stated he did not know the season wasn’t open. The subject asked CO Mshar for a current fishing guide so he did not make the same mistake again. The fish was seized, and enforcement action taken.
COs Michael Mshar and Chuck Towns were contacted by an officer with the Allegan County Sheriff’s Department in reference to a complaint of shots fired. CO Mshar was advised that the officers were parked near the Todd Farm goose refuge when they heard two gunshots. COs Mshar and Towns responded to the area and contacted two subjects who had stopped along the roadside and had shined and shot a deer that was bedded down inside the wildlife refuge. The subjects stated that they believed the deer to be injured and didn’t want it to suffer. CO Mshar asked the subjects if they had entered the wildlife refuge. Both subjects proudly announced that they did not even get out of the car. One subject stated he shot out the window, and the other stated he held the light. The firearm and deer were seized, and enforcement action was taken.
After receiving information about possible turkey bait, CO Steve Mooney and Sgt. Zach Doss checked the location prior to the turkey opener and located a baited location with a pop-up blind. On the opener of the season, CO Mooney and Sgt. Doss returned before daylight and began surveillance in the rain without the hunter showing up. Plans were subsequently made for surveillance by the area, and COs Mooney, Andy Bauer, Jeff Robinette, and Sgt. Doss collectively worked 104 hours of surveillance. On Saturday, COs Mooney and Bauer conducted surveillance at the location and a subject showed up and shot a turkey over the bait pile. An invited guest shot the turkey within 10 yards of the large bait pile, which was clearly visible. Interviews were conducted, and the landowner was interviewed and admitted to being involved in placing the bait and helping his guest set up a decoy over the bait. Charges included taking a turkey with the aid of bait, failing to tag the turkey, and aid/abet in the taking of the turkey with the aid of bait.

CO Rich Nickols received a turkey-related trespass complaint from Clinton County Central Dispatch on his pass day. CO Nickols was able to speak with the deputy and have him secure the evidence for follow-up the next day. It was determined that the subject had shot a turkey and the bird flew away. The subject thought he had missed and went to investigate when he saw another turkey and shot that one. That turkey flew onto neighboring property and died. The subject retrieved it without permission, and his actions were observed by the landowner. As the subject went back to his blind, he found the original turkey he had shot that was mortally wounded. The landowner called 911 to report the trespass, and when a deputy arrived, the subject was in possession of both turkeys. Enforcement action was taken.
CO Chris Reynolds followed up on a deer carcass littering complaint in which the suspect lives out of state. Once the officer located the area, he found several dumped carcasses on the property. Upon looking through some of the other debris, the CO found a credit card receipt. An investigation will be conducted to find the subject, and enforcement action will be taken.

CO Mike Drexler responded to a complaint in which a witness observed a subject shoot and kill two swans. Waterford Township police officers were first on the scene and started the investigation by obtaining witness statements and securing the deceased swans. CO Drexler and a Waterford Township police officer interviewed the suspect, who initially denied killing the swans, but eventually confessed to shooting both swans with a pellet gun. The pellet gun was seized, and the case is being forwarded to the county prosecutor’s office.
COs Jason Becker and Richard Cardenas worked the trout opener together at Proud Lake Recreation Area. There were many anglers catching limits of trout and many positive contacts were made. CO Becker contacted one angler who had not measured his limit of fish and had one trout too many that was larger than 15 inches. Enforcement action was taken.
CO Jason Smith received a complaint about anglers keeping bass out of season at a location in Washtenaw County. CO Smith responded to the location and located the anglers. CO Smith asked if the anglers had caught any fish, and they stated that they had not. Further investigation revealed an 18-inch largemouth bass in a small cooler underneath a nearby picnic table. The owner of the cooler stated that he forgot about the fish being in there. Later, he changed his story and advised he was just holding onto it to show a friend.  The angler also did not have a fishing license.  Enforcement action was taken.
During a check of anglers at the Stanley Road fishing access site on the Holloway Reservoir, CO Jeremy Beavers contacted two subjects who were fishing without licenses. During the check of the anglers, it was discovered that both subjects had warrants for their arrest.  The first subject had a misdemeanor warrant for failure to appear. It also was discovered that he had two prior DNR violations for snagging. The second subject had a felony warrant for drug possession and was turned over to Michigan State Police on the warrant.  Enforcement action was taken for the other violations.
During a fisheries patrol in support of the opening of the walleye season, CO Jeremy Beavers made contact with a subject fishing from shore at the Kearsley Reservoir in Flint. During a check of the subject, it was discovered that he did not have a fishing license. The subject stated he knew he was supposed to have one but had yet to purchase it. Enforcement action was taken.

Share on Social


Hand-Picked For You

Related Articles