Tuesday, January 31st, 2023
Tuesday, January 31st, 2023

Breaking News for

Sportsmen Since 1967

NH: Early Migratory Game Bird Seasons Set

CONCORD, N.H. — The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department has
finalized the 2011 hunting season dates and bag limits for early
season migratory game birds, with a few changes from last year,
including extended seasons for woodcock and snipe. The 2011 seasons
for these game birds are as follows:

Resident Canada geese: The bag limit is five birds per day,
statewide, during the September season, which extends from the day
after Labor Day (September 6) through September 25, 2011.

Youth Waterfowl Weekend: This year, the youth weekend falls on
Saturday and Sunday, September 24 and 25, 2011. All regular season
waterfowl regulations, including bag limits, shooting hours, use of
non-toxic shot, etc., apply during the youth weekend. (For more on
youth hunting in N.H., visit

Woodcock: October 1 – November 14, 2011. Bag limit is 3 birds
per day.

Snipe: September 15 – November 14, 2011. Bag limit is 8 birds
per day.

Sea ducks: October 1, 2011 – January 15, 2012. Bag limit is 7
birds per day, with no more than 4 scoters, 4 eiders or 4
long-tailed ducks (oldsquaw).

Crows: The fall crow-hunting season runs from August 15 to
November 30, 2011; next spring’s two-week crow season will be March
16-31, 2012.

Hunters of all migratory game birds must have a 2011 New
Hampshire hunting license and are required by federal law to
register for the National Migratory Bird Harvest Information
Program (HIP). In New Hampshire, this includes all who hunt ducks,
geese, snipe, woodcock and coots. Separate HIP permits are needed
in each state. Licensed hunters should call 1-800-207-6183, or go
to the “Buy Your License Online” section of the Fish and Game
website at www.huntnh.com, to receive a permit number (there is no
charge). This number should be written on the hunting license.
Harvest information from HIP helps Fish and Game and the U.S. Fish
and Wildlife Service make more reliable estimates of the number of
all migratory birds harvested. Each year, a random selection of
hunters is asked to complete a voluntary harvest survey.

Waterfowl hunters must also obtain a federal duck stamp and a
New Hampshire Migratory Waterfowl hunting license.

Hunters are asked to report all banded birds by calling
toll-free to 1-800-327-BAND. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
will send a certificate with information about the bird.

For more information on waterfowl or other New Hampshire hunting
seasons, or to buy licenses and permits online, visit


Share on Social


Hand-Picked For You

Related Articles