Saturday, January 28th, 2023
Saturday, January 28th, 2023

Breaking News for

Sportsmen Since 1967

SD: Prairie Dog Control Programs Available

PIERRE, S.D. – The South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and
Parks (GFP) and Department of Agriculture (SDDA) remind farmers and
ranchers with unwanted prairie dogs to ask for assistance.

The state’s prairie dog control program is cooperatively funded
by GFP and SDDA; GFP manages encroachment issues stemming from
adjacent public lands, and SDDA manages complaints between private

“GFP will control prairie dogs that have spread onto private land
from adjacent public land,” said GFP Wildlife Damage Program
Administrator Keith Fisk. “Landowners with encroachment problems
from nearby public land must be within one mile of that public land
and have at least 20 acres of actual prairie dog colonies to be
eligible for assistance.”

“Landowners must call in before Aug. 15, 2011, and inform GFP
that they have unwanted prairie dogs,” Fisk added. “GFP provides
assistance to many landowners scattered across western South
Dakota, and the deadline allows gives us sufficient time to
coordinate the logistics of our control program.”

If a landowner has a complaint about prairie dog encroachment
from nearby public land, GFP must be contacted at (605)773-5913 to
request control. Once eligibility has been verified, GFP field
staff or a department representative will control the invading
colony on the private land later this fall. All complaints must be
received by the Aug. 15th deadline.

Landowners experiencing encroachment from adjacent private land
should contact SDDA or local weed and pest supervisors. If a
prairie dog colony is encroaching from private land, a signed
written complaint must be made.

“Prairie dog control in encroachment situations will remain a
priority to address producers’ needs,” stressed Walt Bones,
Secretary of the South Dakota Department of Agriculture.

Landowners that are experiencing encroachment from adjoining
private land need to contact SDDA or their local weed and pest
supervisor. If the colony is encroaching from private land, a
signed written complaint must be made. There are two methods to
file a complaint, the first option is for the affected landowner to
sign a letter of complaint and mail it to the local county Weed and
Pest Board. The second method requires filing a formal complaint
with SDDA. The complaint process can be started by calling
800-228-5254 or visiting
A copy of the complaint will be sent to the landowner with the
invading colony. Encroachment complaints may be sent in throughout
the year.

The South Dakota Prairie Dog Management Plan may be seen by
visiting or
by calling GFP at 605-773-3387.


Share on Social


Hand-Picked For You

Related Articles