Stand up for your right to hunt
Gun hunting and snowmobiling could be outlawed on over 66,000
acres of the Huron-Manistee National Forest if the regional
forester in charge of managing those public resources decides
that’s the best management strategy for the area.
The H-MNF is presently undergoing a court-mandated review of the
Huron-Manistee Land and Resource Management Plan.
The Forest Service approved the plan in 2006, but a Novi attorney
sued the Service in an effort to change the management plan after
the plan didn’t result in the closures he was seeking.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit ruled that there
were issues with the analysis of data when the Forest Service
approved the management plan and ordered the Service to review the
way it developed the 15-year management plan.
Specifically, the Service will evaluate an alternative that closes
semiprimitive nonmotorized management areas to snowmobiling and
firearm hunting and closes the Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area to
The decision is not a slam dunk.
It is vitally important that the Forest Service hears from hunters
and snowmobilers. This decision could set a dangerous precedent
that would lead to serious limitations on our right to hunt and
recreate in the H-MNF as well as on other public lands across the
Attend one of the following meetings or send written comments to
the Forest Service. Comments must be received by Feb. 11, 2011.
Written comments may be submitted to: Forest Planner,
Huron-Manistee National Forests, 1755 S. Mitchell Street, Cadillac,
MI 49601 or faxed to (231) 775-5551. Comments may be submitted
electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and
should contain the subject line “Forest Plan SEIS.”
Public meetings to explain the SEIS process and accept written
comments will be held:
• Jan. 31 – Hilton Inn Express of Birch Run, 12150 Dixie Hwy.,
Birch Run, 4-8 p.m.;
• Jan. 31 – Huron Shores Ranger Station, 5761 North Skeel Rd.,
Oscoda, 4-7 p.m.;
• Feb. 1 – Hilton Garden Inn, 26000 American Drive, Southfield,
• Feb. 1 – Mio Ranger Station, 107 McKinley Road, Mio, 4-7
• Feb. 2 – Causeway Bay Hotel (Will be changing to a Best Western),
6820 South Cedar, Lansing, 4-8 p.m.;
• Feb. 2 – Days Inn of Manistee, 1462 US 31 South, Manistee, 4-7
• Feb. 3 – Crowne Plaza, 57000 East 28th St., Grand Rapids, 4-8
• Feb. 3 – Plainfield Township Hall, 885 Eighth Street, Baldwin,