Two Prior Lake, Minn., anglers named to Bassmaster High School All-State Fishing Team
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — A pair of Prior Lake, Minn., anglers were among 64 high schoolers from across the country named to the 2018 Bassmaster High School All-State Fishing Team presented by DICK’S Sporting Goods.
The students were selected for the honor based on their success in bass tournament competition, academic achievement and leadership in conservation and community service.
To be considered for the All-State Fishing Team, a student must have been nominated by a parent, coach, teacher or other school official. Students currently enrolled in grades 10-12 with a current-year grade point average of 2.5 or higher were eligible.
B.A.S.S. received more than 465 nominations from across the nation, a more than 100-percent increase since the inception of the program. From these, judges selected 64 student anglers from 38 states for the team.
Minnesotans selected were Ben Provost and Mason Raveling of Prior Lake. There also were 56 honorable-mention selections, with those individuals also recognized for their tournament success as well as community service and academic achievement. Minnesota honorable-mention selections were Tyler Fitzner, Farmington; Solomon Glenn, Lakeville; Jared Haugen, Plainview; and Jack Mulholland, Elgin.
Minnesota’s six overall selections was tied for the most in the country. Other selections from the Great Lakes region:
- Illinois: Alec Berens, Channahon; Tyler Lubbat, Wheeling; Jordan Bowlin, Benton (honorable mention); Tyler Christy, Bolingbrook (honorable mention); Adam Hingson, Atwood (honorable mention).
- Michigan: Nicolas Biundo, Wyandotte; Joe Deichelborher, Wyandotte; Matthew Davis, Coloma (honorable mention).
- New York: Alex Gauld, Tonawanda.
- Ohio: Kobe Thompson, Crooksville; Ethan Rider, Gallipolis (honorable mention).
- Pennsylvania: Austin Gaab, Montoursville; Zachary Tamandl, Schnecksville; Dylan Fogarty, Mechanicsburg (honorable mention); Curt Jena, Monaca (honorable mention).
- Wisconsin: Bailey Bleser, Burlington; Tyler Cory, Amherst; Jacob Bigelow, Cecil (honorable mention); Mitchell Hammes, West Salem (honorable mention).
For the complete list of selections by state, click here.
A second panel of judges will review the 64 All-Staters and select 12 members of the 2018 Bassmaster High School All-American Fishing Team. The 12 finalists will compete in a one-day Bassmaster All-American High School Bass Tournament held during the 2018 Toyota Bassmaster Texas Fest, scheduled May 17-20 on Lake Travis out of Jonestown, Texas.
Elite Series anglers will serve as teammates and “coaches” of the student anglers in the tournament. The high school standouts will be honored on the main Texas Fest stage at the weigh-in.