‘I Can Fish!’ Yes, you can — and much more through DNR learning programs
Looking for an unforgettable outdoor adventure this summer? Sign up for one of the I Can! programs offered by Minnesota state parks and trails.
Reservations are being taken for the following beginner-level programs, which start in June and continue through the end of August:
- I Can Camp! – Develop (or brush up on) fire-starting and camp cooking skills and sleep on air mattresses in tents large enough to accommodate two adults and up to three children ($60 for one-night programs or $85 for two-night programs).
- I Can Paddle! – Get out on the water for a guided canoeing, kayaking or sea kayaking adventure (prices vary).
- I Can Climb! – Experience the thrill of rock climbing with instruction provided by trained professionals from Vertical Endeavors Guided Adventures ($10/child, $20/adult).
- I Can Mountain Bike! – Learn riding techniques and explore mountain bike trails with guides from the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Club ($15/child, $25/adult).
- I Can Fish! – Kids will have fun of casting into the water and enjoying the excitement when there’s a tug on the line. ($5/person, children under 12 are free).
The I Can! series also includes the Archery in the Parks program, which is free and for which no reservations are needed.
“Not having the right equipment or know-how can be a barrier to spending time outdoors,” said Erika Rivers, director of Minnesota state parks and trails. “The I Can! programs make it easy for families to enjoy camping and other outdoor experiences by providing tents, canoes, mountain bikes and other gear. Friendly instructors also provide plenty of tips and encouragement so that adults and kids can both have fun learning new skills.”
For more information including program dates, times, locations, and minimum age requirements — visit www.mndnr.gov/ican or contact the DNR Information Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday).
To register for a program, visit www.mndnr.gov/reservations or call 866-857-2757 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, except holidays).
This series of introductory programs is made possible with funding from the Parks and Trails Fund, created after voters approved the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment in November 2008. The Parks and Trails Fund receives a share of sales tax revenue that may only be spent to support parks and trails of regional or statewide significance.
The I Can! programs received a Government Innovation Award in 2015. More than 12,800 people have participated in these programs since they were first offered in 2010.