Guinness Braised Venison Stew by Chef Ara Zada
When you want to spend time outdoors enjoying the spring weather, it’s the perfect time to pull out the slow-cooker, put together a few simple ingredients, and enjoy the convenience of having a tasty meal ready to go at the end of the day.
By Chef Ara Zada
5 lbs. Venison leg, Cut into 1”cubes
2 tsp. Olive oil
1 Red onion, diced
2 Red bell pepper, diced
1 ½ lb. Baby red potatoes, Halved
1 lb. Baby carrots
4 Garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 cup Beef stock
4 Sage leaves, sliced
2 Thyme sprigs
1 Tbl Salt
2 tsp. Black pepper
3 Tbl Cornstarch
½ bunch Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 cup Cheddar and jack cheese, shredded
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on high heat and add olive oil. Season the venison cubes liberally with salt and pepper.
- Sear the venison cubes in batches in the pan about 1 min per side to get a nice sear on all sides. Be sure not to over crowd the pan when doing your batches. Add Seared venison to 6qt Crockpot.
- Add onions, bell pepper, potato, carrots, garlic, Guinness, beef stock, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir pot and cover.
- Set on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
After cooking is complete. In a small bowl add a small amount of cold water to the cornstarch and stir to dissolve. Add mixture to Crockpot to thicken gravy.
- Place in bowl over some wild rice and top with some parsley and cheese. Enjoy!
Note from the chef: If you are pressed for time you may skip the first 2 steps and just add the venison straight to the Crockpot. Although searing the meat first will add a much deeper flavor.
About the chef: Born and raised in Los Angeles Chef Ara has always had a need to be outdoors. He attended culinary school at Le Cordon Bleu and built a career as a professional Chef specializing in recipe development and food styling. He paired his love for cooking with the great outdoors and found a passion in harvesting his own meat. He is an avid archery hunter and spends most of his spare time honing in his archery skill and planning his next hunt. He is also a field staff writer for www.Harvestingnature.com
Crockpot and Guinness are registered trademarks.