NASP North Dakota State Tournament Results
A total of 336 archers competed in the North Dakota National Archery in the Schools Program state tournament April 13-14 in Bismarck.
Jeff Long, NASP coordinator for the State Game and Fish Department, said the number of participants was up 14 percent from last year. “NASP continues to grow in numbers each year, and we had participants from every corner of the state,” Long said. “This year 47 percent of our participants in the state tournament were female, and elementary students made up the majority of the participants.”
Long said it was a competitive tournament, with just 12 points separating first and second place in the middle school division, and a 16-point differential in the high school division. “This is out of a possible 3,600 points,” he added. “The atmosphere was great.”
This year’s tournament included a three-dimensional shoot, Long said, which allowed all participants an opportunity to try something different. “This actually worked quite well,” he added. “A lot of participants used this as an opportunity to warm up and calm the nerves.”
The high school (grades 9-12) state championship team was from Dunseith, and the middle school (grades 7-8) champs were from Medina. The top team in the elementary school (grades 4-6) division was from Hankinson. Each winning team received a trophy and five dozen arrows, and has the option of having an in-school awards ceremony. In addition, each first place team received a $2,500 travel grant for committing to represent North Dakota at the national tournament in Louisville, Ky.
Overall male and female winners were Lucas Nadeau of Dunseith and Lisa Buckhaus of Hankinson. They received a plaque and limited edition NASP bow, and a $750 travel grant if they attend the national tournament.
The top five place winners receiving commemorative coins in each division were:
- High school boys – Nadeau and Mason Blacksmith, Dunseith; Cody Beach, Barnes County North; Michael Maertens, Griggs County North; and Josh Gapp, Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg.
- High school girls – Amanda Young, Jaelyn May and Theresa St. Claire, Dunseith; and Shayla Zaun and Kayla Feiring, Griggs County Central.
- Middle school boys – Spencer Brockman, North Sargent; Evan Trostad, Jacob Heinz, Logan Kensok and Jayden Grover, Griggs County Central.
- Middle school girls – Buckhaus and Mariah Weidner, Hankinson; Shae Tofte, Devils Lake; Maddy Vincent, Griggs County Central; and Hannah Willson, Barnes County North.
- Elementary boys – Michael McKenna and Dawson McKeever, North Sargent; Tyler Johnson, Griggs County Central; Cole Nelson, Burke Central; and Race Kath, Hankinson.
- Elementary girls – Kate Loewen, Hankinson; Hope Willson, Barnes County North; Lauren Moser, Medina; Sarah Azure, St. John’s; and Emma Mitchell, Rolla.