Pure Michigan Hunt winner shoots a trophy 6x6 elk
Gaylord, Mich. — Dan Beaudoin, of Waterford, recently had a Sunday morning he will never forget. “My heart was pounding. I’m a big guy and my guide had me running, so I was breathing hard,” the 2012 Pure Michigan Hunt winner said.
Beaudoin recently harvested an enormous 6x6 bull elk during the second elk hunt period with the help of his guide, Kevin Johnson, of Big Boys Adventures in Gaylord.
“My guide said the elk had a whale tail. I didn’t even know what that was,” Beaudoin said.
Although the bull has yet to be officially scored, everyone has a guess for the record book, according to Beaudoin.
Beaudoin is one of three winners of the DNR’s Pure Michigan Hunt program. Each winner received all 2012 limited licenses and the ultimate hunter’s prize package from Michigan companies and organizations.
Beaudoin purchased a $4 Pure Michigan Hunt application last year, and found out in January 2012 he was one of the winners.
Pure Michigan Hunt applications for the 2013 season are available for $4 at any license agent or online at www.mdnr-elicense.com. There is no limit to the number of applications hunters may buy now through Dec. 31.
Three winners will be announced in February 2013.
The 2013 prize package includes licenses for elk, bear, spring and fall turkey, and antlerless deer, first pick at a managed waterfowl area, and the following prizes:
- 2012 Darton crossbow package;
- 30.06 rifle from Michigan Gun Owners;
- 12-gauge shotgun from the Lake Effect Chapter of the Michigan Duck Hunters Association;
- Camo ground blind from Ameristep;
- Guided spring turkey hunt from East Lake Outfitters;
- Sitka camo clothing from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation;
- Camo vest, custom box call, and patch from National Wild Turkey Federation;
- Rapid River knife, duck decoy, and membership from Ducks Unlimited;
- Herd-monitoring kit and membership from the Quality Deer Management Association;
- National and local memberships from Safari Club International;
- Sweatshirt and hat from the Southwest Lake Erie Chapter of Waterfowl USA.
As a Pure Michigan Hunt winner, Beaudoin also got the first pick at a managed waterfowl area hunt, bringing along a hunting companion to share the experience.
“I hunted waterfowl at Fish Point Managed Waterfowl Area,” Beaudoin said, “I took along one of my oldest friends and the guy who actually got me into duck hunting years ago.”
To learn more about the Pure Michigan Hunt, visit www.michigan.gov/puremichiganhunt.