Idaho's Southwest Region Fishing Report May 17, 2012
This report highlights a few of the best places to fish, what anglers are using and what they are catching. The information is compiled from regional Fish and Game fishery managers, local tackle shops and anglers.
Dear Readers: to make this report the best, please share your reports. We would love to hear from you! If you have a question to be answered let us give it a try. Send reports to the Aquatic Education Coordinator.
Lake Lowell Reservoir: Bass fishing has generally very good, but slowed a bit after the recent cold front. Fish are in very shallow water and biting on surface baits.
Brownlee Reservoir: Fishing has been good for crappie, smallmouth bass, and catfish. The water level is coming up. The only boat ramp available is at Woodhead Park.
Lucky Peak Reservoir: Kokanee bite is on, fish fairly shallow. Sizes up to 17”.
Cascade & Horsethief Reservoirs: Trout fishing has been good, especially for bank anglers with spinners or bait.
We recommend hitting lowland lake areas around the region. Many of these lakes have been well stocked with rainbow trout. Last summer our angling educators did very well on garlic marshmallows or worms.
Do you have kids or grandkids to take fishing? Follow our Fishing Trailer!
At our local ponds the fishing trailer will be making 40 appearances this spring. The fishing trailer provides beginning anglers the information and the equipment needed to learn to fish. It’s free, just show up. Registered participants at trailer events do not need a fishing license.
Upcoming Fishing Trailer Event Dates
- Wednesday, May 16, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. McDevitt Pond, Boise
- Thursday, May 17, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Merrill Pond, Eagle
- Saturday, May 19, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Settler's Pond, Meridian
- Sunday, May 20, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. McDevitt Pond, Boise
- Wednesday, May 23, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Rotary Pond, Caldwell
- Thursday, May 24, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Wilson Ponds, Nampa
- Wednesday, May 30, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Parkcenter Pond, Boise
- Thursday, May 31, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Wilson Ponds, Nampa
To learn more about the trailer, visit the trailer schedule page.